That one extra elusive day for which we often search has arrived. To paraphrase Mary Oliver, tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious day?
Well, you could support our Kickstarter campaign...
Winter Farmer's Market Sweet and Spicy Root Casserole
- 5 carrots, peeled
- 6 parsnips
- 3 sweet potatoes or one butternut squash peeled and chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced into wedges
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dried cherries
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and julienned
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons (or to taste) sriracha or thai chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Zest of 1 lemon, coarsely chopped
- Sea salt
- 1/4 cup roasted sliced almonds
- chopped cilantro
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Chop sweet potatoes or squash, parsnips and carrots into 1-inch chunks and place in 9 x 13-inch casserole dish. Add onion, raisins, cherries and ginger and toss to evenly distribute ingredients. In separate bowl, combine orange juice, maple syrup, chili sauce, lime juice, arrowroot, nutmeg, lemon zest and salt. Whisk to combine ingredients and pour evenly over vegetables. Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. Remove from oven, remove foil and baste. Return uncovered casserole to oven and bake another 15 minutes. Remove from oven, toss vegetables again to re-coat with sauce and serve sprinkled with chopped almonds and cilantro.
Serves 8 (who could also support the Bath Freight Shed - pass it forward!)